December 31, 2007

On the Eve of New Year's Eve

2007 has been very eventful.
I graduated from University, and started working.

This also meant that i went through the transition of "paying to get stress" to "being paid to get stress". Make no mistake about this, life in high school, and college was very very interesting. In fact, it was where i learned a whole lot of things that earned me this job. However, due to it's novelty, i fancy the working life for the time being. Of course, it can be argued that the excitement and unpredictability of the working life will wear off sooner or later. Well, i shall savour the moment shan't i? =) Having said so, I am confident that come next year, I will (and hope) that i still find work challenging. If i don't, then perhaps it is clear indication for me to switch jobs.

FYI, I am currently working as one of the administrators in the Malaysian Philharmonic Youth Orchestra. The MPYO is part of the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra, which of course is funded by Petronas. They sign my paycheck, so i suppose I am a employee or semi-employee of Petronas?



My job is to assist the administrator in all matters pertaining to the administration of the orchestra. I do have a specific job scope at the moment, which is to manage the library, the website, and chambers.

Now why is a psychology student like me taking up a job such as this, which on paper, holds no relation to whatever i studied?
My rationale is that, if there are humans, psychology is applicable. Simple as that.

After all, psychology is a study of human behavior and the underlying processes.

I hoped i answered the two questions that popped up as soon as you read that i am working for "MPYO".

The next question you might ask is, "Are you satisfied with your job?"

On a scale of 1 to 10, '1' being extremely dissatisfied and '10' extremely satisfied, I would give it a 7.

Why the 3 points deducted?
One, I'm not in the zone, yet.
Two, I have yet to see a clear path in terms of career advancement.
Three, There are rooms for improvement.

I would've rated a "6" if it wasn't for the recent national tour where i managed to foster (at least on my part) a better relationship with my colleagues and not to mention, the wonderful musicians. 12 days was all i had with them, and it was truly amazing.

Enough about work for now, blogging too much about work is just plain suicide =)

After the tour, i was back to Penang for a week-long holiday, which sadly ends today.
It was a pleasant break as the tour really took something beating out of me.
Shall blog bit more on my trip back to Penang with Ms. Yeong and some other new found friends/musicians from the MPYO.

Till then =)

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

yingjieliow said...

happy working. ;))